Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Insulation and Sheetrock

Passed rough inspection! On to insulation and sheetrock.
Insulation is R-19 on the walls and R-30 in the ceiling. I, of course, wanted to do the green thing, which in the case of insulation would have been to use a soy based spray foam insulation, or cellulose (newspaper). However there were few contractors that did wet-spray cellulose. More common is dry sprayed cellulose in attics. And the bids for spray foam were five times the cost of fiberglass. I took some consolation that the fiberglass insulation was formaldehyde-free.


I solicited a couple of bids for sheetrock but my friend Rick Wilson, with whom I consult frequently, told me that I wouldn't get a lower bid than from Joe Faria, and he was right. The first bid was $6,300 and Faria's bid was $3,600!


After cleaning up the mess.


I was surprised by how small the rooms suddenly became once the sheet rock was up.

No comments: